Sesquicentennial Organ Concert
November 22, 2015
Epiphany Church celebrated the sesquicentennial of the original construction of the Carl Brandt Memorial Pipe Organ with an organ and choral concert on November 22, 2015 before an audience estimated at 400. This was the Solemnity of Christ the King as well as the Memorial of St. Cecilia patron of musicians. Director of Music and Organist Bob Waldrop presented a recital including works by J.S. Bach, Richard Purvis, Philip Kreckel, and Peter Christian Lutkin. The Three Kings Choir, accompanied by the organ and the Opulent Brass ensemble with timpani, presented Charpentier's Te Deum in D Major, as a tribute to the 150 years of church music service of this 24 rank organ.
The recording of the entire concert may be heard at https://soundcloud.com/epiphany-church-music-1/sesqui-concertmp3 .
This organ is believed to be the oldest organ in the state of Oklahoma in terms of its original construction date. It was originally built in 1865 by William B.D. Simmons for a church in Watertown, New York. It was moved at the turn of the century to Our Lady of the Rosary Polish Catholic Church in Chicopee, Missouri by the Viner Organ Company. It was moved to Epiphany of the Lord Church in Oklahoma City and rebuilt with a new case by Andover Organ Company of Massachusetts, as its Opus 260.
Waldrop studied with Dr. Antone Godding at Oklahoma City University and Dr. Darwin Wolford at Ricks College in Rexburg, Idaho. He has served Epiphany Church as its director of music and organist since 1999. The Organ Historical Society citation of the organ, and its stop list, is found at